Monday, April 30, 2007

New Planet: Where were we on that one?


Okay. You've heard by now that European astronomers discovered a new planet (!) named Gliese 581 C (not as catchy as "Earth") that could harbor liquid water and life!! This is very exciting news for all of mankind!

But is no one else troubled by this sentence? No, not the part about life on another planet. The part where European astronomers made this awesome discovery?? What the shit, America!! Where were we on that one?

Dude. Remember back during the Cold War when we were, like, the best at Space? And we sent all those kids to Space Camp (super COOL kids) and we invested resources in human capital and it was important for us to be the best at trying new things and taking the scientific community by storm?

I am a patriot in the truest sense of the word. I want America to be making the best discoveries. I want America to be spending money on cool shit. I have a feeling I know where that money has been reallocated and it is not as cool as this planet. I think this is a compelling argument.

No comments: