Wednesday, August 8, 2007

It's My Fault for Trying

Today, on a very special "Seriouslyjazzed..."

I want to talk about something serious with you for a second. I tried something new last week. I attempted a post "in character" - a monologue based on a funny conversation I had with a friend. It was sort of an experiment, I guess. Because usually I blog as myself, as Jessie, so you know whose voice I'm using because it's mine. And this was an attempt to speak using a different voice, a joke voice.

*Sidenote: today I did some voiceover work and someone told me that my voice sounds like rusty sandpaper, or divorce. So you can understand why I might desire a voice other than my own.

Some of you thought this was a serious post. Reactions ranged from "were you talking about a real person?" to "who was that real person you were talking about there?" This was not a real person, nor would I ever seriously say that to a real person, in my blog. I was surprised that you would think I would. Most importantly because that's not what this blog is for. I didn't think you thought I was that kind of girl.

I'm not sure at what point I became the poster girl for sincere & earnest blogging* but I guess that's what you've come to expect of me. I don't want to feel constricted by this label (I stand by my motto: "Labels Disable") but I also want to respect your blog reading needs. You are, after all, the consumer, and I the provider.

I hope we can reach a consensus because I don't want to always have to issue a caveat - "this is a joke, this next thing coming up" or "just so we're all on the same page, I'm not being serious right now." But I don't want to be confusing. That's the last thing I want. I'm an open book, you turn the pages. Don't lick your fingers first, that's gross.

*Is it because of the title of the blog?

3 comments:

Kim said...

how did anyone think "you" were serious? that was obviously a "joke" post* and whomever thought it was anything other than a joke must be really stupid. just kidding. don't get all offended, people. i, like ms. gaskell, was kidding.

*if it hadn't been a "joke" do you think i would have "laughed" so "ferociously" that my coworkers "noticed?"

nathanblum said...

"responses," really?

That post had zero comments. We're you being un-serious again?

Jessie said...

No! I got 2 verbal comments!

Thanks for the support, REAL friends.